Discovery is an emotive word and used thousands of times in marketing of products, especially those related to travel and adventure. The use of the word is both historic and modern, from the famous ship Discovery which was the smallest of three ships that resulted in the founding of Jamestown in the new Colony of Virginia in 1607, to the Space Shuttle Discovery. This spacecraft is one of the retired orbiters of the NASA Space Shuttle programs operational from August 30, 1984, until March 9, 2011, flying more missions than any other spacecraft.
Even more famous on our UK shores is the RSS Discovery which was the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in Britain. Launched in 1901 the British National Antarctic Expedition was its first mission carrying Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton on their first, successful journey to the Antarctic; the Discovery Expedition.
Travel companies often refer to voyages of discovery on cruise ships and car manufacturers have adopted the word for four wheel, off road vehicles, such as the “Land Rover Discovery”. There is even a discover credit card and various trademarked slogans or strap lines, such as “Discover the Difference”.
Wikipedia has the word discovery defined as: “the act of detecting something new, or something “old” that had been unknown. With reference to science and academic disciplines, discovery is the observation of new phenomena, new actions, or new events and providing new reasoning to explain the knowledge gathered through such observations with previously acquired knowledge from abstract thought and everyday experiences.”
If you search Google for the word “Discovery” you will find a plethora of businesses, projects, charities and more which engage the word and make it part of their brand. The Discovery Channel is one of these. The following is a list of others you will find quite quickly.
- discovery.ac.uk: a metadata ecosystem
- discovery.co.za: a financial services provider
- discovery.org: a public policy think tank
- discovery-project.eu: Philosophy in the digital world
- city-discovery.com: sightseeing tours and attractions
- discoverytravelnetwork.com: Geo-Portals for Tourism
- discoveryuk.com: A travel agent
- discovery-paper.com: economy vs ecology
- discoveryeducation.com: Educational website
- discoveryfoods.co.uk Well known brand of foods.
- discoverdiscovery.co.uk: Science for all ages
- discoveryyachts.com: yacht designers
- discoverycove.com: snorkeling in Florida
- discovermagazine.com: Technology news and science articles
- discoveringantarctica.org.uk: Antartica educational site
- discoveryfilmfestival.org.uk: Film Festival info
We used the word “Discovery” as we believe that despite the world being closer through technology, there is still many things and places to amaze and discover. So if you want to enjoy a place and like holiday rentals, use Discovery Holiday Homes!