3 Delicious Dartmoor Recipes!
Three warming Dartmoor recipes to get you through this cold November afternoon…
Even better, use them as inspiration to plan your weekend away in one of our Dartmoor holiday homes and have them cooked for you! After a day exploring ancient tors, galloping by gushing rivers and listening to myths and legends, there is nothing better than curling up with something tasty.
Nibble on Devonshire rarebit by the hearth, scoop the icing off Devon Cream Tea cupcakes and save it until last, or sink into a squashy pub sofa and indulge in the hearty, cidery, scrummy lamb dish.
Devon Cream Tea Cupcakes
by Aisha Wrigglesworth
250g caster sugar
185g self raising flour
60g plain flour
2tbsp strong brewed tea (cool)
500g icing sugar
1tbsp golden syrup
1) Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy
2) Add the eggs, flour and tea and beat until smooth
3) Spoon the mixture into small cupcake cases and bake at 160 degree until well-risen and a light golden colour.
4) When cool, scoop a little hole in the top of the cake and fill with a spoonful of strawberry jam.
5) To make the icing, beat together all of the ingredients until they are smooth and think, and then pipe a swirl over the jam.
6) Top each cupcake with a fresh strawberry.
Lamb, Rosemary and Apple Burgers with Apple and Cider Relish
by Dartmoor Farmers
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus chilling time
Cooking time: 12-16 minutes for the burgers, 20-25 minutes for the chutney
450g lean lamb mince
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
2tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
1 medium cooking apple, peeled and coarsely grated
Salt and pepper
Apple and cider relish:
2 dessert apples, peeled and finely chopped
225g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
150ml Dartmoor cider
1) Mix all of the burger ingredients together in a large bowl.
2) Shape the mixture into 3.5 inch burgers, then cover and chill for 20 minutes.
3) Prepare the apple relish by placing all of the ingredients into a pan and bringing to the boil. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve cold.
4) Cook the burgers on a preheated grill for 6-8 minutes on each side, and until the meat juices run clear.
5) Serve the burgers in a roll of your choice, with a spoonful of relish.
1.5 cups grated Somerset cheddar cheese
1tsp English mustard
2tbsp Dartmoor cider
1tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 slices toast
1) Mix the cheese, mustard, cider and Worcestershire sauce in a pan over medium heat and stir steadily until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
2) Peel, core and slice the apple and divide over the slices of toast.
3) Spoon the cheese over the toast and serve.